Don't Miss a Single MWSA Post! Subscribe Here!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Backward Editing! What a Concept!

I thought I'd share this tip with my fellow Military Writers. I offered it in a mini-column (for lack of a better word) for a listserve I belong to. The listserve is Word_Mage. You may subscribe to that by sending an e-mail to Word_Mage-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

This is the tip:

This is Book Expo America (BEA) week and I have tons of preparation for it so I'm keeping this post short. I'm offering one of those tips some of you may know and use or one of those tips some of you may know and not use 'cause you get in a hurry! In any case, it's an important reminder.

For the most accurate self-edit possible end the process I outline in The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success with a backwards edit. Start at the back of the book and read each sentence aloud. Yes. Backwards. Doing that keeps each sentence unconnected to other sentences and to other ideas so your expectations of what should be on the page are minimalized. That way your brain won't fill in corrections when they aren't there. This works as well for query letters and media releases as it does for full manuscripts.

Read a little more on editing query letters and media release at my blog, The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor, www.thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

------
Carolyn Howard-Johnson edits and consults on issues of publishing. Find her The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success on Amazon. Learn more about her other authors' aids at www.howtodoitfrugally.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MRS. LIEUTENANT: A SHARON GOLD NOVEL

Richard Lowry's Blog